In the last year Netflix lost its digital distribution deals with Sony and Disney. Which means if you’re watching a newish movie on the streaming service right now, there’s a very good chance it came from Epix, a pay movie channel which supplies films from Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM.
Netflix gets some big movies but I still think it’s not enough to quench the good movie thirst I’d hope Netflix could offer. It’s a shame they lost some great contracts with Disney and Sony. I hope they will at least build out more of the TV show category so I an binge watch them. On a side note the recommendation engine on the PS3 platform has gotten a lot more intuitive as I’ve been able to find a lot more flix this way. Hopefully with a couple of more iterations they’ll know exactly what I want to watch.
- Summary Box: Amazon vs. Netflix battle heats up (seattletimes.com)
- Will Amazon Kill Netflix With This Deal? (fool.com)
- How Much Pain Will Netflix Feel From Amazon’s New Deal With EPIX? (deadline.com)
- Sorry, Netflix! EPIX Strikes Deal With Amazon Prime Too (perezhilton.com)
- Amazon’s EPIX Deal Puts Netflix on Notice (dailyfinance.com)