A read through most online privacy policies is enough to make your stomach acid curdle. And social media companies have more access to personal data than most. Some collect information you expressly give them, like your credit card and telephone numbers. Others gather data based on how and where you use their services.
Living is this world of web 2.o can be somewhat of a data overload. We as consumers don’t really understand how they know and it scares us. Just looking at a eCommerce website might actually make that retailer to try and track you down to get your dollars. The more use of social media will ultimately lead to anyone having access to everyone’s whereabouts at anytime. This is in fact a very scary idea especially for high profile type people like the president’s son or daughter. Not the type of situation you want to find youself in. But this is probably the case at the rate were going I’d say this could become a reality as soon as 2020.
- Social in the SERPs: How the Social Networks Appear in the Search Results for the World’s 500 Top Tech Writers (conductor.com)
- OPINION – A dissection of social networks’ privacy policies (siliconrepublic.com)
- Is Your Phone a Social Network Creeper? (ellefeeney.com)
- What If Social Networks Just Aren’t Profitable? (powazek.com)
- Is Google+ The Best Social Network For Marketers After All? (socialmediatoday.com)